iPhone 6 Plus catches fire on owner’s bed while charging

iPhone 6 Plus fire

When it comes to fire, burns, and explosions, Apple’s iPhone lineup, and even the Apple Watch, aren’t complete strangers.

The latest instance comes from a news report published by Fox 5 Atlanta, and outlines a situation where an iPhone 6 Plus owner, David Grimsley, had to deal with a smartphone on fire. According to the report, Grimsley was charging his iPhone and it was on his bed as it juiced up the battery. At some point after plugging it in, Grimsley heard an alarm — the fire alarm. He rushed into the room to see “sparks and flames” discharging from the phone.

Grimsley was forced to push the phone to a hard surface, away from the bed and carpet, and wait until the flames died down before he could see the damage. Which was extensive, as is evident in the image above.

“The whole apartment could have burned down.”

Grimsley contacted Apple and the company did indeed send him a new phone, but that’s about all they did, according to the owner. There wasn’t a followup to see what the damage was, or whether or not Grimsley was injured in the incident.

“I thought they’d be more concerned, or check to see if I got burned or anything was damaged.”

Grimsley says that he’s kind of nervous about plugging in the new phone to charge it, in fear that the same situation could happen again, but with much worse results. For what it’s worth, the report does not seem to indicate whether or not Grimsley was using a third-party charger to power up the iPhone 6 Plus, or the standard one that comes out of the box.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have both been in the headlines for “exploding” in the past, with one instance in Hong Kong, and another in July of this month when the owner was on a phone call. The Apple Watch has seen reports of burning or otherwise marking wearers in the past, with the latest report in November of this year.

[via Fox 5 Atlanta]