If you’re not an unlimited data plan, then it is always a good idea to know every trick in the book to reduce the data usage so you don’t get a bill shock at the end of the month.
One of the tips that we missed out was how users who are heavy Facebook and Twitter users can reduce mobile data usage on their iPhone or cellular iPad by disabling auto-play videos while on a cellular network.
You may have probably noticed that more and more people are sharing videos on Facebook and Twitter, and if you’ve autoplay videos enabled even on a cellular network then you’re unknowingly using up more data on your iPhone or cellular iPad.
Thankfully both Facebook and Twitter provide you an option to enable auto-play videos only on Wi-Fi network, so you can prevent the feature using up precious mobile data.
You can find out how much cellular data is being used by Facebook and Twitter apps, by launching the Settings app, and navigating to Cellular, and scrolling down to the Use Cellular Data For” section.
If you got a shock looking at the cellular data used by these apps then follow the instructions mentioned below to turn off autoplay videos on cellular network.
How to disable autoplay videos in the Facebook app when on a cellular network
- Launch the Facebook app from your iPhone or iPad’s Home screen.
- Tap on More in the Tab bar at the bottom.
- Then scroll down and tap on Settings.
- Followed by Account Settings from the popup menu.
- Tap Videos and Photos.
- Tap Autoplay.
- Here either tap on On Wi-Fi Connections Only if you want the autoplay feature to work only when you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network or tap Never Autoplay videos, if you want to disable the feature completely.
You can disable the autoplay feature in the Twitter app as well when you’re on cellular network.
How to disable auto-play videos in the Twitter app when on a cellular network
- Launch the Twitter app.
- Tap on the Me tab in the tab bar at the bottom.
- Tap on the gear icon next to your profile pic.
- Tap on Settings from the pop-up menu.
- Tap Video autoplay.
- And select Use Wi-Fi only if you want the autoplay feature to work only when you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network or tap Never play videos automatically if you want to disable the feature completely.
I hope this helps you in reducing the data usage on your iPhone or cellular iPad, especially if you’re a heavy Facebook and/or Twitter user.
Let me know if there has been a reduction in data usage after disabling autoplay videos.Like this post? Share it!