FBI urges Apple to cooperate despite changing password on San Bernardino shooter’s iPhone 5c

iPhone 6s - Touch ID

The struggle between Apple and the Federal Bureau of Investigation continues, with the latter basically telling the former to cooperate, despite some major recent setbacks.

According to a press statement obtained by Re/code, the FBI has confirmed it worked with government officials of San Bernardino, California, to reset the password of the iPhone 5c that was used by one of the shooters in the same city in 2015. On Friday, February 19, Apple said that the password on the device in question had been changed “less than 24 hours” after government officials got their hands on it. For its part, Apple says that the information therein probably could have been ascertained had the password not been changed.

The FBI isn’t having any of that, though. According to the report, the agency is still insisting that Apple cooperate with their endeavor to obtain the information on the device, by pretty much any means necessary. That includes building a specific backdoor into iOS, or creating a modified version of iOS and updating the iPhone 5c to access it. Both of these options are something that Apple doesn’t want to do, as the company’s CEO, Tim Cook, has made perfectly clear.

The ordeal has grown to maximum capacity at this point. Other organizations and tech industry leaders have come forward to support Apple, including Google, Facebook, and many others. However, others are in contention, like Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump who, very recently, called for a boycott of Apple until the company accessed the iPhone 5c in question.

The Department of Justice recently filed a motion to force Apple work with the FBI, as the company made it quite clear they planned on fighting the initial court order handed out last week. The DoJ believes that Apple’s stance in this situation is all a marketing ploy, which certainly adds some spice to an already heated debate.

[via Re/code]

Like this post? Share it!