T-Mobile may be the “Uncarrier” that pushes the envelope with its progressive pricing and cellular plans, but the company maintains one unpopular policy — locking its iPhones to its network. This practice means you cannot take your T-Mobile iPhone, drop in a Verizon SIM and expect it work even though the hardware supports all the carrier’s networks. Want to find out if your iPhone is unlocked on T-Mobile? And how to unlock it if it is locked? Read on for information on unlocking your iPhone on T-Mobile’s network.
Do I Need to Unlock my T-Mobile iPhone?
Before you can bring that iPhone to a new carrier domestically or overseas, you have to meet the minimum criteria and go through T-Mobile’s official channels to unlock the device. Like AT&T, T-Mobile won’t unlock a phone automatically, you must specifically request an unlock. T-Mobile will remove this restriction your iPhone if requested, but there are several requirements you must meet before T-Mobile will approve your request.
- The device must be a T-Mobile device.
- The device must not be reported as lost, stolen or blocked to T-Mobile.
- The account associated with the device must not be cancelled and is in good standing.
- You have requested no more than 2 mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
- The device must satisfy all the Postpaid or Pay in Advance (Prepaid) Unlocking terms outlined below.
- T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.
Once your iPhone meets the minimum criteria, T-Mobile will send you a notification with information about how to remove this restriction from your phone. If you need additional details or have a phone on a prepaid or month-to-month plan, you can find T-Mobile’s unlocking policy here.
How do I Unlock my iPhone on T-Mobile?
Once you’ve completed your financial obligations to T-Mobile, you can make a request to unlock your phone using the carrier’s Mobile Device Unlock app or by contacting customer service (1-877-746-0909) to ask for an unlock. Once approved, T-Mobile will send you instructions on how to unlock your device.
My iPhone is Unlocked, Now What?
Most carriers will walk you through the process of unlocking your phone, so no need to worry about those details. Once it is unlocked, you can use your iPhone on another carrier by following the instructions below:
- Power off your iPhone.
- Remove the existing SIM card from your phone.
- Insert the new SIM card (from the different carrier) in the SIM card slot.
- Restart the iPhone.
- After the iPhone restarts, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
Have you unlocked iPhone on your carrier? Or did your phone come unlocked? Please share your experiences in the comments.