Luca Todesco has finally released the latest build of the Yalu jailbreak with support for iOS 10.2. The jailbreak is unstable and supports a fairly limited set of iOS devices such as iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE and iPad Pro.
If you own a non-supported iOS device then it’s best that you avoid using the iOS 10.2 Yalu jailbreak and wait until Luca adds support for it.
If you can’t wait for the stable version of Yalu to be released, then this tutorial will guide you through the steps to jailbreak iOS 10.2 on supported devices using Yalu and Cydia Impactor.
Read the following points before proceeding:
- This jailbreak is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone SE
- iPad Air,iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad Pro
- iPod Touch 6
- The Yalu iOS 10.2 Jailbreak does not support iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 10.2. You can jailbreak iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 10.0.1 – iOS 10.1.1 only. For this, you have to use the extra_recipe+yaluX jailbreak.
- The jailbreak works only on the above iOS devices running iOS 10.2. If you are on iOS 10.1 – iOS 10.1.1 then follow the guide here.
- The jailbreak is semi-tethered, similar to the Pangu jailbreak for iOS 9.3.3.
- Make sure that you take a complete backup of your device via iCloud or iTunes.
- Ensure that your device has enough battery level for the jailbreak process to complete.
- If the jailbreak doesn’t work properly, you will have to restore your device to the latest iOS firmware, which is iOS 10.2.1 currently.
How to Jailbreak iOS 10.2 using Yalu Jailbreak and Cydia Impactor
Step 1: Download the Yalu jailbreak IPA and the latest version of Cydia Impactor from our download Yalu jailbreak page.
Step 2: Double click to open Cydia Impactor.
Step 3: Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 4: If Cydia Impactor recognizes your device, it will appear in the drop down list as shown below.
Step 7: Once the app is installed on your device, you should see its icon on the Home screen labelled “yalu102”.
Step 9: Press the “Trust” button.
Step 10: Go back to the Home screen and launch the yalu102 app.
Step 11: Press the Go button for the jailbreak to begin. Do not touch your device until the jailbreak is done.
Step 12: Your device will reboot automatically and Cydia should appear on the Home screen. If it’s not there, open the yalu102 app and jailbreak again.
Congrats, your device is now jailbroken! Cydia will take some time to perform the initial setup when you launch it for the first time. After it’s done, you can start using it, but keep in mind that you should only install the compatible tweaks to avoid running into issues. We will post the list of iOS 10.2 compatible jailbreak tweaks soon.
How Does Semi-Untethered Jailbreak Work?
Yalu is a semi-untethered jailbreak, which means that when your device restarts, it will no longer have a patched kernel. You cannot use any jailbreak tweaks you installed and Cydia will crash when launched. To re-jailbreak, simply open the Yalu app and perform the jailbreak again. Your device will then go back to the normal jailbroken state.
When Does the Yalu App Expire & How Do I Renew It?
If you are installing the Yalu app with a free Apple ID, it will expire after 7 days. So you have to re-install it via Cydia Impactor to extend it for another 7 days. The steps are the same as outlined above. Also note that you need the Yalu app only when you want to jailbreak your device, so even if it expires, the jailbreak is not lost. But you will need to renew the certificate if you want to re-jailbreak your iOS device.
You can re-sign the Yalu app without automatically without a computer with the jailbreak app called Cydia Extender, so install the tweak so you don’t need to worry about re-signing the Yalu app.