Apple today launched a new 9.7-inch iPad and discontinued the iPad Air 2. The new iPad is Apple’s cheapest tablet yet with a price tag of $329.
So, what separates the new 9.7-inch iPad from the iPad Air 2? Find out below.
- The new 9.7-inch iPad and the iPad Air 2 both feature a 9.7-inch Retina Display
- The display panel on the new iPad has a higher brightness level than the iPad Air 2’s display though
- Both tablets lack support for Apple Pencil
- The new iPad’s display is not laminated
- The new 9.7-inch iPad is both thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2
- It is 7.5mm thick compared to the 6.1mm waistline of the iPad Air 2
- The new iPad weighs in at 469g and 478g for the Wi-Fi and Cellular models, respectively
- The iPad Air 2 was slightly lighter with the Wi-Fi variant weighing 444g and the cellular model coming in at 478g
Chipset & Storage
- While the iPad Air 2 featured a tri-core A8X chip, the new iPad comes with a dual-core A9 chip
- Despite one less core, the new chip is faster than the A8X found inside the Air 2
- This is the same chipset that is also found inside the iPhone 6s
- This also means that the new iPad features Apple’s M9 motion co-processor
- The iPad Air 2 was available in 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB variants
- The new iPad is only available in 32GB and 128GB storage options
- While Apple says that both tablets feature a 10-hour battery life, the new iPad features a bigger battery
- The iPad Air 2 featured a 27.62Wh battery, while the new 9.7-inch iPad comes with 32.4Wh battery
- This should translate into the new tablet offering better battery life than the Air 2
- Apple had reduced the price of the iPad Air 2 to $399 last year
- Prices for the new 9.7-inch iPad starts from $329
A lower price point but with more storage, better battery life, and faster internals? The new 9.7-inch iPad is better than the iPad Air 2 in almost every way. The increase in weight and size are a bit of a bummer but they are not exactly a deal breaker.
What do you think about Apple’s new 9.7-inch iPad? Do you plan on buying one?Like this post? Share it!