Apple has released two firmware updates for AirPods so far, so if you’re wondering, how to update your AirPods, then here’s the good news.
How to Update AirPods Firmware
You don’t need to do anything, your AirPods are updated automagically as long as you satisfy the following conditions.
- The AirPods are in the charging case.
- You are charging the charging case (though we’ve heard cases where this isn’t required).
- The iOS device that has been connected to the charging case is nearby.
While we have no idea when the AirPods get updated, they should get updated overnight based on my experience.
You are probably wondering, how can I find out if my AirPods are up-to-date. Thankfully, Apple does allow you to find out if your AirPods are updated on your iOS device, and it is quite straightforward. So if you’re one of the lucky ones to get the AirPods (cause they’re apparently still precious commodity), then here’s how to find out AirPods firmware version.
How to Check AirPods Firmware version
- Ensure that your iOS device is connected to your AirPods.
- Now remove the AirPods from the charging case. You don’t need to wear them in your ears, but that should be fine as well.
- Now launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Navigate to General > About.
- Scroll down and tap AirPods.
- You should be able to find out the firmware version of your AirPods next to the Firmware Version on this page.
The latest AirPods firmware version is 3.7.2. If it hasn’t been updated then put them in the charging case, plug it in, and hopefully it should get updated overnight.
It would have been nice if we could update it manually, so we have the option to go back to the previous version if something goes wrong.
The other problem is unlike the iOS software updates, Apple doesn’t provide any details about what has been fixed or improved. It would have been nice to see the release notes for the latest firmware update. But it just works, at least so far, so I’m not complaining.
What has been your experience? Share it in the comments below.