Apple has rolled out the fifth beta version of iOS 11 to registered developers. The update includes a number of bug fixes and improvements. Fortunately, just like the previous beta versions, it is possible to install iOS 11 beta 5 without a developer account and without a computer.
Apart from bug fixes, it also includes the new sync system for your Safari Bookmarks and Reading List to provide better syncing and security. Apple has also fixed issues with the Bluetooth button in Control Center, and 3D Touch with data detectors. The release notes also include several new known issues such as Tweetbot, which may not be able to post tweets containing photos that have been recently taken, apps like Citi Mobile crashing at launch.
If you are bummed about not having a developer account to be able to install iOS 11 on your iPhone or iPad, then there is a simple hack to get developer beta on your device right away. Even better, the steps don’t require a computer and can be all done on your iPhone or iPad itself. Alternatively, you can also sign up for the public beta to install iOS 11. We expect Apple to release iOS 11 public beta 4 (same as iOS 11 developer beta 5 in a day or two).
How to Install iOS 11 Beta 5 Without a Developer Account
If you’ve already installed iOS 11 beta:
- Reinstall the iOS Beta Software Profile by clicking on this link
- Note: if the download link doesn’t work, you can try this alternative link. Tap on the iOS 11 Beta option, and install the updated iOS 11 Beta profile. [The link will take you to an ad page. You will need to click on the Skip ad to download the iOS beta software profile. We will update the post if we can get an alternative link.]
- Tap on the Download button.
- On the Install Profile screen, tap on Install to install the new profile.
- It will prompt you to restart your iOS device. Tap Restart to continue.
- After you have restarted your iPhone or iPad, you should see the iOS 11 Beta 5 OTA when you navigate to Settings > General > Software Update, and tap on Download and Install button to install iOS 11 beta 5.
Installing iOS 11 beta for the first time:
Step 1: On your iOS device, head over to this link. Make sure to open it in Safari itself and not in any other browser or app.
- If you face issues with that link, you can download from Google Drive instead.
Step 2: Tap on the iOS 11 (Beta) option. As of now, it is named ‘iOS 11 (Beta 4)’ but it works for Beta 5 as well.
Step 3: You’ll be taken to an ad page. You will need to click on the Skip Ad to download the iOS beta software profile.
Step 4: You will be automatically redirected to ‘iOS Beta Software Profile’ from where you will have to tap on Install three times and select the reboot option.
Step 5: Once your iPhone or iPad has rebooted, head over to Settings -> General -> Software Update and the iOS 11 developer beta OTA should be available as a download on your device. If the update does not show up, wait for a few minutes and try again. If that still does not work, make sure to restart your iPhone or iPad again.
After the OTA is downloaded, install it like you would install any other iOS update.
iOS 11 is an evolutionary update to iOS, with a major focus on improving iPad productivity. iOS 11 unifies lock screen and Notification Center, finally introduces a new Control Center, and brings major and minor redesigns for various stock apps. There’s an overarching design change in iOS 11 as well. While iOS 7 was all about minimalism and thinness, iOS 11 is all about being big and bold. This new design, with reduced information density, is starkest in the fully redesigned App Store.
You may want to read the following articles to learn more about iOS 11:
- The 10 Best iOS 11 Features for iPhone
- Top 10 Productivity Features of iOS 11 for iPad
- 100 Awesome iOS 11 Features and Changes
- Top 50 Hidden Features of iOS 11
If you do end up installing iOS 11 on your iPhone or iPad, do drop a comment and let us know if you have discovered any new iOS 11 features or changes. If you face any issues during installation, please let us know.Like this post? Share it!