YouTube is one of the most popular video streaming websites out there where you can find and watch any video that you’re looking for, such as movie trailers, music videos, iPhone drop-tests and so on.
The official YouTube app for iOS is packed with tons of features that provide most of the essential functionality that a user would require. However, the app still has space for additional improvements, which is why there’s a new jailbreak tweak that aims to fill this gap.
Called BlueBear, this tweak brings a suite of new features to the iOS YouTube app that allows you to get rid of restrictions and improve the user experience of the app. It lets you tweak the user interface of the app, add new features, and remove annoying restrictions imposed by YouTube.
Once you install BlueBear, you can get started by heading to the tweak’s preferences pane in Settings. This is where you’ll find all the options that the tweak offers for enhancing the YouTube app. The following settings are available:
- Disable age restriction.
- Block video ads.
- Disable double tap gesture to skip forward or backward in videos by 10 seconds.
- Hide tabs.
- Enable video backgrounding. This allows the video to continue playing even when the YouTube app is running in the background.
- Enable auto-correct in the app.
- Change the color of the Status bar to black when using YouTube.
- Enable “Clean Video UI” to remove useless UI elements such as Share, Add-to, and Cardboard buttons, and the video title.
- Enable “Mini UI” to shrink the height of the YouTube app.
- Remove the Save button.
- Use a white keyboard instead of black.
- Force videos to be shown vertically when in fullscreen mode.
These are all the options provided by the tweak for enhancing the YouTube app on your jailbroken iPhone. You can even tap on an option to get a detailed description of what it does, such as the Mini UI or Clean Video UI options.
Once you’re done configuring the tweak, the changes will be applied right away. All you have to do is to close the YouTube app and re-launch it. If you don’t notice any changes, then you should respring your device.
BlueBear is definitely a useful tweak for jailbroken users who enjoy watching videos on YouTube. However, there are far better alternatives that offer more features than BlueBear. An example is YouTube ++ which provides tons of additional features such as:
- Download videos and save them to your Camera Roll.
- In-app web browser
- Background playback
- Block video ads and promoted ads
- View age-restricted videos
- Custom audio player for download videos
- Import videos to music library
- Choose the default tab
Another alternative is Cercube which provides more or less the same features as YouTube ++. The best part is that both of these tweaks integrated within the YouTube app, so you can access all the configurations from the app without having to go to Settings.
If you’d like to install BlueBear, it is available for free on Cydia’s BigBoss repo. As of this writing, the tweak supports the latest version of YouTube, which is version 12.35.
What is your favorite tweak for YouTube? Let us know in the comments below.Like this post? Share it!