Apple has seeded the tenth beta version of iOS 11 to developers for testing. Apple had released the first beta version just after the WWDC keynote a little over two weeks ago where it gave us a sneak peek of the next major software update for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
According to the release notes, iOS 11 beta 10 includes a number of bug fixes and improvements. Apple has also enabled features such as the Do Not Disturb While Driving in the previous beta seed. It also includes the new sync system for your Safari Bookmarks and Reading List to provide better syncing and security. Apple has also fixed issues with the Bluetooth button in Control Center, and 3D Touch with data detectors. The release notes also include several new known issues such as Tweetbot, which may not be able to post tweets containing photos that have been recently taken, apps like Citi Mobile crashing at launch.
iOS 11 is an evolutionary update to iOS, with a major focus on improving iPad productivity. iOS 11 unifies lock screen and Notification Center, finally introduces a new Control Center, and brings major and minor redesigns for various stock apps. There’s an overarching design change in iOS 11 as well. While iOS 7 was all about minimalism and thinness, iOS 11 is all about being big and bold. This new design, with reduced information density, is starkest in the fully redesigned App Store.
On the iPhone, iOS 11 refines the features introduced in iOS 10. Here are the main features:
- The Lock screen and Notification Center are merged so you can now swipe up on the Lock screen to view all your notifications, right there.
- Control Center is back to being just one screen. There are now tiles that you can 3D Touch to expand to view more information.
- Apple has redesigned the iMessage app drawer to make it easier to use.
- You can now use Apple Pay to pay other Apple Pay users, right from the Messages app.
- A potential end-all for syncing frustrations – iMessage, Siri, and Photos data will now sync between all your devices using iCloud.
- Siri now has a more natural voice, supports translation and gets a small visual update. Siri also supports list and QR code apps.
- App Store gets a big new redesign to make it look more like Apple Music. There are new tabs for Today, Apps and Games view.
- Do not Disturb While Driving feature automatically disables all notifications when you’re driving.
- When you take a screenshot, you’ll now get a little preview of it in the bottom-left corner. Tap on it and you’ll be able to mark up the screenshot before saving it or sharing with anyone.
- Files app replaces iCloud Drive app.
To see how all these new features work, read our in-depth coverage of the best iOS 11 features for iPhone.
The iPad finally gets the productivity love it deserves.
- There’s a new Mac-like Dock that lets you add more than 6 icons and shows recent apps.
- Slide Over now works by dragging an app from the Dock.
- There’s a new App Switcher that integrates the Dock, Control Center, Spaces, and apps.
- You can finally drag and drop files, links, text, and images between two apps.
- Using Apple Pencil, you can now just start drawing anywhere inline in Notes and Mail app.
- Tap your Apple Pencil on the Lock screen to directly open the recently used note in the Notes app.
To learn more about how the iPad exclusive features work and what they look like, read our in-depth article about the best iOS 11 features for iPad.
We’ve also got the best coverage of all the small and hidden features in iOS 11, which includes some really useful features like screen recording, a customizable Control Center, the ability to type to Siri and more.
If you need help, you can check out our article on how to install iOS 11 Beta 8 without a developer account and without a computer.Like this post? Share it!