Apple today released iOS 11.2 which fixes the respring/reboot bug that has affected thousands of iPhone owners across the world from earlier today. The update also enables support for faster 7.5W wireless charging on the iPhone X and iPhone 8.
iOS 11.2 is the second major update to iOS 11 since its release that brings with it some important changes and features. Apart from faster wireless charging and the respring bug fix, the update also introduces Apple Pay Cash which allows one to send money to their friends and family using an app in iMessage.
As for wireless charging, to enjoy the faster charging speeds, you will need to ensure that you have a compatible fast charger as well. Another small change in iOS 11.2 is the introduction of a small bar below the status bar icon on the lock screen of the iPhone X to give a hint to users that the Control Center can be accessed from here using a swipe down gesture. Other notable changes include new camera emoji, new live wallpaper on the iPhone X, a new “Sports” tab in the TV app, and more.
The full change-log of the update is as follows:
Apple Pay Cash (US Only)
Send, request, and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay in Messages or by asking Siri
Other improvements and fixes
– Adds support for faster wireless charging on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X with compatible third-party accessories
– Introduces three new Live wallpapers for iPhone X
– Improves video camera stabilization
– Adds support in Podcasts to automatically advance to the next episode from the same show
– Adds support in HealthKit for downhill snow sports distance as a data type
– Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to appear to be checking for new messages even when a download is complete
– Fixes an issue that could cause cleared Mail notifications from Exchange accounts to reappear
– Improves stability in Calendar
– Resolves an issue where Settings could open to a blank screen
– Fixes an issue that could prevent swiping to Today View or Camera from the Lock Screen
– Addresses an issue that could prevent Music controls from displaying on the Lock Screen
– Fixes an issue that could cause app icons to be arranged incorrectly on the Home Screen
– Addresses an issue that could prevent users from deleting recent photos when iCloud storage is exceeded
– Addresses an issue where Find My iPhone sometimes wouldn’t display a map
– Fixes an issue in Messages where the keyboard could overlap the most recent message
– Fixes an issue in Calculator where typing numbers rapidly could lead to incorrect results
– Addressed an issue where the keyboard could respond slowly
– Adds support for real-time text (RTT) phone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing
– Improves VoiceOver stability in Messages, Settings, App Store, and Music
– Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from announcing incoming Notifications
You can download the iOS 11.2 update on your iPhone or iPad from Settings -> General -> Software Update.
You can install the iOS 11.2 update wirelessly, but if you’re not getting the OTA update then you can find the direct links to download iOS 11.2 firmware files for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch so that you can update your device manually using iTunes.
Apple has confirmed via its official Twitter account that Apple Pay Cash will be rolled out early next week.
If you need help on how to install iOS 11.2 on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch then you can check our post for the step-by-step guide.
Let us know how it goes in the comments.