The wait for Cydia for iOS 11 is finally over. coolstar has released the long-awaited Electra iOS 11 Jailbreak with Cydia.
Cydia for iOS 11 should make it easier for jailbreakers to install jailbreak apps and tweaks.
Here’s some important information about the release:
- An APFS snapshot is created of / so you may revert it at a later date if needed
- It is recommended to futurerestore if you have blobs before running Electra to ensure the best possible installation
- Cydia is included
- OpenSSH is running on port 22
- Electra repo added by default
- Substitute, Tweak Loader and Substrate Compatibility Layer available from Electra repo
- Many packages need to be updated for both Electra and iOS 11 (make sure they’re updated before installing as they may not work yet)
- RocketBootstrap 1.0.6 or higher is required for use on iOS 11
- Many apps, launch daemons and installation binaries are broken as they require entitlements to be added
coolstar had released Electra iOS 11 jailbreak back in January, which included Substitute, an alternative for Cydia Substrate. However, Cydia was not compatible with iOS 11 so jailbreakers had to install the jailbreak tweaks and themes manually.
It supports the following iOS 11 versions:
- iOS 11, iOS 11.0.1, iOS 11.0.2, iOS 11.0.3
- iOS 11.1, iOS 11.1.1, iOS 11.1.2
It does not support the following iOS 11 versions:
- iOS 11.2, iOS 11.2.1, iOS 11.2.2, iOS 11.2.5 and iOS 11.2.6
It supports all iOS 11 compatible iOS devices:
- iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 5s
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 2nd generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 1st generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad
5th generation, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2
- iPod touch 6G
It is a semi-untethered jailbreak that makes use of Ian Beer’s async_awake exploit. A semi-untethered jailbreak is similar to an untethered jailbreak, it gives the ability to reboot your iOS device on its own. On each boot, the iOS device startup sequence is unmodified and it boots into its original, non-jailbroken state. However, instead of needing to use a tool from a computer to re-jailbreak the iOS device again, like a tethered or semi-tethered cases, the user can re-jailbreak their device with the help of an app running on the iOS device.
We have been waiting for saurik to release Cydia for iOS 11, however, he has surprisingly gone silent for the last few weeks. So kudos to coolstar for releasing the highly anticipated Electra iOS 11 Jailbreak with Cydia despite the leak of the IPA that was meant for tweak developers for testing.
If you want to restore your iOS device to unsigned iOS 11.1.2 as coolstar has recommended. then check our tutorial on how to restore to unsigned firmware using futurerestore if you have the SHSH2 blobs.
You can download the latest version of Electra IPA from the official website. You will need to use Cydia Impactor to sideload the Electra IPA and then run the process to jailbreak your iOS device. If you need help then check our tutorial on how to jailbreak iOS 11 – iOS 11.0.2 using Electra Jailbreak toolkit with step-by-step instructions. It will also install Cydia for iOS 11 during the jailbreak process.
Let us know how it goes in the comments.
Don’t forget to signup for our Daily Newsletter so you don’t miss any iOS 11 jailbreak news.Like this post? Share it!