Apple’s New Entry-Level MacBook to Come with Retina Display

MacBook Air

Following reports of Apple working on a new cheaper MacBook for this year, a new DigiTimes report claims that the 13.3-inch MacBook will come with a Retina Display.

The report further claims that Apple will launch the new entry-level MacBook in the second quarter of this year, with a price tag similar to that of the existing MacBook Air or slightly higher. Analyst Jim Hsiao expects from DigiTimes expects Apple to ship around 4 million units of the new MacBook in 2018.

To keep costs down, Apple initially wanted to source the 13.3-inch Retina Panels from a Chinese supplier but due to issues, it went ahead with LG Display. The Korean company will start supplying panels to Apple in April, with the new MacBook scheduled to enter into mass production by end of May or early June. Quanta Computers has received orders to assemble about 70 percent of the total MacBooks being produced, while the other 30 percent will be done by Foxconn.

LG Display will begin supplying the panel in April with the new MacBook scheduled to enter mass production at the end of May or the beginning of June.

The DigiTimes report also claims that Apple suppliers have started shipping upgraded components for the upgraded iPad Pro and the 9.7-inch iPad. While Apple will unveil the refreshed 9.7-inch iPad in Q2 2018, the upgraded iPad Pros, which is rumored to come with Face ID, will make their debut in the second half of this year.

Our Take

Given that the new MacBook goes into mass production in May-end, it is certainly possible that we will see Apple unveil the new cheaper MacBook at WWDC this year. So far, it is unclear if this new entry-level MacBook will be a part of Apple’s MacBook lineup or MacBook Air lineup. Considering the inclusion of a Retina display though, Apple will likely not be selling this new MacBook under its Air lineup.

[Via DigiTimes]

Like this post? Share it!