Soon after its opening keynote at WWDC 2018, Apple released the first developer beta of iOS 12 for all compatible iPhones and iPad. If the initial response to the beta is anything to go by, it seems to be extremely fast even on older iPhones just as Apple had promised during its keynote.
More interestingly perhaps, people are saying the beta build is relatively free of bugs, with hardly any major crashes. However, a beta is a beta and it is bound to have some bugs and issues. Below, we have collated a list of bugs that we have come across while running iOS 12 developer beta on our iPhones and iPads.
If you have not already, you can install the iOS 12 developer beta on your iPhone or iPad without a developer account by following this guide.
Bugs Discovered So far
- Perhaps the biggest issue with iOS 12 is that a number of users are complaining about being unable to use the App Store as it is throwing a “Cannot Connect to AppStore” error.
- Skype app might force close after logging in.
- Popular EA games like Real Racing 3 might crash after launch.
- Personal Hotspot feature might not work for everyone.
- Notification badge is not working properly for many apps.
- Dictionary feature is not available.
- Fortnite is not working properly under iOS 12 for now.
- There’s a keyboard glitch in Facebook Messenger if you switch between conversations.
- Cellular icon is shown on Wi-Fi only iPads.
- Keyboard suggestions overlap with each other in certain apps.
- Certain banking apps are not working properly.
- Settings app crashes when one tries to toggle certain notification related settings on/off.
- Pandora app is broken in iOS 12 beta 1.
- Safari suggestions are not working on certain iOS devices.
- The new effects are not working in the Camera app in Messages.
It is definitely impressive that iOS 12 does not have any major performance issues which are usually present in the first developer beta of a new OS release. The number of bugs also seem to be on the lower side. This clearly points to Apple focusing strongly on improving the overall performance of the OS and improving its stability than adding major new features to it. Nonetheless, if any of the bugs above are a deal breaker for you, its better you avoid installing iOS 12 on your iPhone or iPad for now. Apple will likely take care of them in a future beta release.
If you have already installed iOS 12 developer beta on your iPhone or iPad, make sure to drop a comment below and let us know if you come across any new bug.
iOS 12 Beta 2: Bugs discovered so Far
Update: Below is a list of all the bugs that been reported so far in iOS 12 beta 2.
- The Weather widget might not work for all users.
- You might not be able to upgrade to iOS 12 beta 2 from iOS 10.2 using iTunes.
- CarPlay continues to be broken on certain vehicles.
- It is not possible to do a Group FaceTime call between iOS 12 beta 2 and beta 1 devices.
- Screen Time data will be lost after updating to iOS 12 beta 2.
- Voice Memo iCloud Sync feature is broken for some users.
- The status bar is not properly aligned on the iPhone X.
- Tapping on Save while recording a new Siri Shortcut is not working.
- FaceTime app might crash unexpectedly for many.
- Netflix continues to crash while trying to download a video.
- Twitter app login screen continues to be broken.
- Haptic feedback while unlocking on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus is broken.
- Editing and saving a slow-mo video will crash the Photos app.
- Enabling SIM PIN functionality will lead to the iPhone losing cellular connectivity.
- Camera effects in Messages app are still only limited to iPhone SE.
- GPS location accuracy continues to be poor for selected iPhone users with an Intel modem.
Have you noticed any other bug in iOS 12 beta 2? If yes, drop a comment and let us know about it.