Apple has released a minor, but still important, update to iOS on Monday, aiming to fix some persistent issues that have crept up recently.
Today, Apple has released iOS 12.0.1 to the public. As the minor point suggests, this is not a major update that’s designed to offer up a variety of new features. Instead, this new software is designed specifically to fix issues that have been brought to the company’s attention since the public launch of iOS 12 back in September.
To update, owners simply need to open the Settings app, then go to General –> Software Update. This is a standard over-the-air (OTA) update, so when it goes live owners of supported devices should be able to download and install the free update right away.
The primary fix with this update is to address a charging issue when devices would not start refueling the battery even when the Lightning cable was connected. The issue would keep devices from charging unless the phone’s display was active when the Lightning cable was connected. With the fix, this issue should be patched.
In addition to that, the iOS 12.0.1 update also addresses a WiFi bug that would see the iPhone XS and iPhone XS connect to 2.4GHz WiFi networks, rather than 5GHz options. That would result in slightly slower WiFi speeds for some owners, which was certainly a sore sport with new devices. The new software should make it so the iPhone XS smartphones connect to the 5GHz WiFi network, if available, and therefore grant faster network speeds.
There are several other fixes, which are noted in Apple’s release notes today:
- Fixes an issue where some iPhone XS devices do not immediately charge when connected to a Lightning cable
- Resolves an issue that could cause iPhone XS devices to rejoin a Wi-Fi network at 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz
- Restores the original position of the “.?123” key on the iPad keyboard
- Fixes an issue where subtitles may not appear in some video apps
- Addresses an issue where Bluetooth could become unavailable
- For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
iOS 12.0.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad. This update:
iOS 12.0.1 is available to download and install now.