iPhone XS Max Owner Claims Device Caught Fire While In His Back Pocket

Josh Hillard, an iPhone XS Max owner from Columbus, Ohio claims that his phone caught fire in his pant pocket on December 12. He says that he first noticed a foul smell coming from the rear pocket of his pant before a “large amount of heat” burnt his skin and the trouser pocket along with it.

The incident occurred while Hillard was on his lunch break. He first saw green and yellow color smoke billowing from his iPhone XS Max. Hillard has described his ordeal and his experience in the Appl Store in extreme details.

“Left no other option, I had to exit the room since there was a female in the break room with me and remove my pants. I ran to the boardroom where I got my shoes and pants off as fast as possible. A VP of our company put the fire out with a fire extinguisher because he heard me yelling.”

“From the time of first noticing the fire and between removal of the pants and taking the phone out of my pocket and placing it outside, I inhaled A LOT of smoke. Later in the day, the team told me about the video that the office security camera captured.”

“Later in the evening, I went directly to the Apple Store with the burned/melted remains of the phone, case, and plastic screen protector. Once in the Apple Store, I went to the back and asked for a manager. I explained my story and the leader, she said that she would send a senior tech.”

It is important to note that Hillard did not submit his burnt iPhone to the Apple Store since he was unsatisfied with their resolution.

Hillard does not want a replacement iPhone from Apple as he believes that is not the solution. He is seeking damages for the clothes burnt in the incident along with his phone bill for the time period he was unable to use his phone. While Hillard has not yet taken legal action against Apple, he is contemplating taking one if Apple does not resolve the issue soon.

While the possibility of Hillard’s iPhone XS Max catching fire cannot be denied, it is definitely strange to see someone remember every incident during and after the fire so vividly.

[Via iDropNews]