On Thursday, Apple seeded the first developer beta of iOS 12.2, and with it brought new features to the mix.
Apple added quite a bit of new items to its mobile operating system with iOS 12.2. We have put together a quick list of some of the bigger new additions, which you can find below. Of course, two of the biggest new features includes Canadian support for Apple News, and “Hey Siri” support for AirPods 2 (which are still not even official). Here’s the rest:
What’s New in iOS 12.2
- HomeKit TV Support and Controls: Apple has already announced third-party TVs from the likes of Vizio and Samsung will support AirPlay 2 this year. iOS 12.2 lays the groundwork for that. The beta includes support for third-party TVs, but also adds the ability to add certain TVs to the list of devices that can be sent content.
- Updated Screen Mirroring Icon in Control Center: Apple has updated the Screen Mirroring icon in Control Center, making it a bit more obvious that you are mirroring two screens.
- Faster Way to Add Money to Apple Cash: Apple has added an “Add Money” option when you tap on the Apple Pay Cash in the Wallet app. This makes it easier to quickly add funds.
- A New AirPlay Icon: Apple has updated the AirPlay icon in Control Center, putting it more in line with the icon on other platforms like macOS.
- Apple Shows Better Info for Unsecure Websites: Apple now shows “Not Secured” on an unsecured website in the URL, making it more obvious that a site isn’t offering an HTTPS connection.
- Apple Maps Can Now Show Air Quality: You can find air quality for an area within the stock Weather app, but Apple is now bringing that information to Apple Maps. It can be turned on in the Maps Settings section.
Apple has released 5 beta versions of iOS 12.2. Here’s the list of features and improvements discovered in the latest iOS 12.2 beta:
- Apple has improved the quality of the audio messages sent in the Messages app. While previously audio messages sent in iMessage were recorded using AMR codec at 8000 Hz, they are now recorded using the Opus codec at 24000 Hz.
- Apple News will be available in Canada with the iOS 12.2 release.
In addition to these features, iOS 12.2 has also leaked the following information about the Apple’s new products and services:
- It has leaked screenshots of Apple’s upcoming Apple News subscription service, which it is expected to announce at the March 25 “It’s Show Time” special event along with the TV subscription service.
- iOS 12.2 beta has also revealed that the 7th generation iPod touch which may be launched soon will also feature a full-screen design like iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR.
- It has also revealed that the highly anticipated AirPods 2 will feature Hey Siri.
So, there we go. Quite a few features and improvements are coming in iOS 12.2!
Last Updated: March 14, 2019