Apple has been seeding iOS 12.3 for several weeks. Now, the company is officially releasing the new software to the public. With it, the company welcomes its revamped Apple TV app, along with the new Channels feature.
On Monday, Apple released iOS 12.3 to the public. To update on eligible devices, simply head into Settings –> General –> Software Update. If you have already turned on “Automatic Updates”, then your device will download and install the update the next time you have your device plugged in to charge. It may take some time for the new software to become available and successfully install.
Apple is revamping its TV app, which is the primary focus of this new update. With the new app, there is a new machine learning initiative which is meant to offer recommendations based on an individual basis. That will be built upon your viewing history and your set preferences. Meanwhile, “For You” and the “Up Next” sections will still be prominently placed.
The next big feature for the revamped Apple TV app is called “Channels”. This is meant to make signing up for premium services like HBO, Showtime, EPIX, and more even easier. It will also make it possible to watch that supported content from directly within the TV app, rather than having to jump from one app to another to watch shows and films.
(If you want to watch content that isn’t supported within the Channels feature, like Netflix, you’ll need to open those individual apps to do so.)
Here is the full changelog for iOS 12.3:
- AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV
- One tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
- Siri Suggestions to watch movies and TV shows now include an option to AirPlay
- Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
- The Apple TV app features an all new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
- Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
- Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
- New release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of 100,000+ movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
- A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially-handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
- The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
- Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
- Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume on supported receivers
- Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
- Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display
iOS 12.3 includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and features a redesigned Apple TV app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
Apple TV app
iOS 12.3 is now available to download and install.