While the iOS 12.4 beta builds from Apple did not contain any new feature, the final build of the OS released to the public earlier this week contained a new iPhone migration utility. The icon of this tool had leaked earlier and many believed that it would be a part of iOS 13. However, Apple has made this new iPhone migration utility a part of iOS 12.4 release itself.
As the name suggests, one can use the iPhone migration feature to quickly transfer their data, apps, and other personal data from their old iPhone to a new one. The entire process happens wirelessly and does not require one to have access to a PC with iTunes installed.
The new utility will make it easier for new iPhone users to easily carry over their data from their old phone without too much of a hassle. The good thing about this process is that it bypasses iCloud so you will not be forced to subscribe to an iCloud storage plan if the total data size is more than your iCloud account’s storage space.
iPhone Migration Tool: Things to Know
- You start the migration process by simply bringing your old iPhone near your new iPhone. Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on both devices.
- While the process can be done wirelessly, one can also use a Lightning cable along with an appropriate adapter to transfer data over a wired connection.
- You will have to use the same Apple ID on your new iPhone as your old iPhone.
- Depending on the amount of data to be transferred, the entire process can easily take an hour or two.
- Apart from transferring your data, you have the option to also transferring your system settings.
- You will also be prompted to select if you would like to automatically pair your Apple Watch with the new iPhone.
- All apps will be downloaded from the App Store so you will need an active (and speedy) internet connection during the process.
- Your old and new iPhone must be running on iOS 12.4.
Use iPhone Migration Tool to Transfer Data from Old iPhone to New iPhone
Step 1: Bring Both iPhones Close to Each Other
With your new iPhone at the setup process, bring the old iPhone close to it. This will bring up the Quick Start pop-up on your old iPhone. Tap Continue on the pop-up and confirm your identity using Touch ID or Face ID.
Step 2: Scan the Animation on Your New iPhone from Your Old iPhone
To pair both phones, you will have to scan the object being displayed on your new iPhone using your old phone. In case the camera on your old iPhone is not working, you can use the Authenticate Manually option. This will help complete the pairing process.
Step 3: Set up Face ID/Touch ID on Your New iPhone
Enter the passcode of your old iPhone on your new iPhone. After a minute, you will be prompted to set up Face ID/Touch ID on your new device.
Step 4: Decide How You Want to Transfer Data
Once you are done setting up Face ID/Touch ID, you will get an option to transfer data from your old iPhone or use iCloud to restore an old backup. Both options will display the amount of time required for the entire process to complete.
You have to select the Transfer from iPhone option. Use Other Options at the bottom if you want to transfer data between your old and new iPhone over a wired connection.
Step 5: Proceed with the Setup Process
Continue with the setup process where you will have to accept a few terms and conditions. After that, the actual data transfer process will start which can take anywhere between a few minutes to an hour or two depending on the amount of data you have.
Make sure to keep both phones next to each other until the entire data transfer process is over.
With Apple getting rid of iTunes in macOS Catalina, it makes a lot of sense for the company to offer an alternative and swift way of wirelessly transferring data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone wirelessly. It will come in handy when one does not have access to a PC while setting up their new iPhone.