Everything you need to know about Apple’s next-generation mobile operating system for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
iOS 11: All The New and Awesome Features!
iOS 11 is an evolutionary update to iOS, with a major focus on improving iPad productivity. iOS 11 unifies Lock screen and Notification Center, finally introduces a new Control Center, and brings major and minor redesigns for various stock apps. There’s an overarching design change in iOS 11 as well. While iOS 7 was all about minimalism and thinness, iOS 11 is all about being big and bold. This new design, with reduced information density, is starkest in the fully redesigned App Store.
Must Read: 100+ New iOS 11 Features and Changes
The Best iOS 11 Features for iPhone
On the iPhone, iOS 11 refines the features introduced in iOS 10. Here are the main features:
- The Lock screen and Notification Center are merged so you can now swipe up on the Lock screen to view all your notifications, right there.
- Control Center is back to being just one screen. There are now tiles that you can 3D Touch to expand to view more information.
- Apple has redesigned the iMessage app drawer to make it easier to use.
- You can now use Apple Pay to pay other Apple Pay users, right from the Messages app.
- A potential end-all for syncing frustrations – iMessage, Siri, and Photos data will now sync between all your devices using iCloud.
- Siri now has a more natural voice, supports translation and gets a small visual update. Siri also supports list and QR code apps.
- App Store gets a big new redesign to make it look more like Apple Music. There are new tabs for Today, Apps and Games view.
- Do not Disturb While Driving feature automatically disables all notifications when you’re driving.
- When you take a screenshot, you’ll now get a little preview of it in the bottom-left corner. Tap on it and you’ll be able to mark up the screenshot before saving it or sharing with anyone.
- Files app replaces iCloud Drive app.
To see how all these new features work, read our in-depth coverage of the best iOS 11 features for iPhone.
The Best iOS 11 Features for iPad
The iPad finally gets the productivity love it deserves.
- There’s a new Mac-like Dock that lets you add more than 6 icons and shows recent apps.
- Slide Over now works by dragging an app from the Dock.
- There’s a new App Switcher that integrates the Dock, Control Center, Spaces, and apps.
- You can finally drag and drop files, links, text, and images between two apps.
- Using Apple Pencil, you can now just start drawing anywhere inline in Notes and Mail app.
- Tap your Apple Pencil on the Lock screen to directly open the recently used note in the Notes app.
To learn more about how the iPad exclusive features work and what they look like, read our in-depth article about the best iOS 11 features for iPad.
The Hidden Features
As always, we’ve got the best coverage of all the small and hidden features in iOS 11. This time we get some really useful features like screen recording, a customizable Control Center, the ability to type to Siri and more.
iOS 11 Beta
Apple has released two beta versions of iOS 11 so far. If you’re interested in checking out the new iOS 11 features, you can install iOS 11 Beta for free without a developer account or a computer.
iOS 11 Release Date
Apple has announced that it will be releasing iOS 11 to the public later this fall. Based on the historic information, Apple usually releases a major iOS update a week after the iPhone launch event.
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus launch event on September 7, iOS 10 release date – Tuesday, September 13th.
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus launch event on September 9, iOS 9 release date – Wednesday, September 16th.
- iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus launch event on September 9, iOS 8 release date – Wednesday, September 17th.
- iPhone 5s launch event on September 10, iOS 7 release date – Wednesday, September 18th.
- iPhone 5 launch event on September 12, iOS 6 release date – Wednesday, September 19th.
We expect Apple to unveil iPhone 8 or iPhone X at a media event in early September 2017, so the iOS 11 release date will most likely be in the second week of September just like previous years.
Find our latest iOS 11 coverage below.