They believe that the new version "pretty much all of the various random issues that have been reported".
In the meanwhile, Geohot, the member of the iPhone Dev Team who had released his own software called purplera1n to jailbreak iPhone 3GS running iPhone OS 3.0 and couple of days back had released purlesn0w to unlock iPhone 3GS has also released purlesn0w RC2 which fixes many issues.
iPhone Dev Team believe that the new version "pretty much all of the various random issues that have been reported":
- Works on both iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS
- Works on hacktivated devices
- Works regardless of how you jailbroke your device
- Doesn’t patch any mach-o binary whatsoever. (Doesn’t require a separate patch as each new firmware comes out).
- Doesn’t install any additional daemon
- Has no race conditions, no popups about “Missing SIM”, no network issues
- Is almost 7000 times smaller than its nearest competition 🙂
- Is available now via Cydia. Source repo is http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com (that last “0” in ultrasn0w is a zero!)
Geohot has released purplesn0w RC2 which has fixed the following issues:
- Works on only iPhone 3GS
- 3G(the network speed) issues fixed
Now only patches one file, CommCenter
Leaves no traces on your baseband after it runs. Seriously
Much more clean and reliable.
He has provided the following instructions to unlock iPhone 3GS:
- Be sure to have legit activated 3GS
Disable 3G if you don't have it(like T-Mobile).
Add apt.geohot.com to Cydia
Install(or Update) com.geohot.purplesn0w
Watch for success output in Cydia(actually do this step)
Wait for signal, and enjoy your unlocked iPhone(no reboot required)
When Geohot had released his own software solution to unlock iPhone 3GS, he had claimed that his iPhone 3GS unlock solution is better than UltraSn0w. Dev Team have published details on their blog on why they don't agree with his claim to which Geohot has also responded on his blog.
So if you are planning to unlock your iPhone 3GS running iPhone OS 3.0 then you can try UltraSn0w (works on iPhone 3G as well) or purplesn0w to see which one works well. You can checkout our step-by-step guide to unlock iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS running iPhone OS 3.0 using UltraSn0w.
Please don't forget to take a backup of your iPhone (refer to this post for more details) and also proceed with caution as it could void it's warranty.
Please tell us how it goes and which unlocking solution is better.