This tutorial is for Mac users only. If you are a Windows user, you may read the corresponding jailbreaking guide here.
Some important points to note before we start:
- Hacking your iPhone could void its warranty. So please proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Make sure that you have iPhone OS 3.1.2 installed on your iPhone.
- The jailbreak requires 05.11.07 baseband .
- If you have a new iPhone 3GS (updated Bootrom), BlackRa1n only supports a tethered jailbreak. This means that once jailbroken you should not let your battery die. If it does die you will need to reconnect it to the computer and use BlackRa1n to boot it.
- Please take a backup of your iPhone, refer to this post for more details.
- After you have successfully jailbroken your iPhone, please checkout our article on tips to keep your iPhone secure.
Instructions to Jailbreak:
Step 1: Visit Blackra1n website on your Mac and click the Apple logo at the bottom of the screen.
Step 2: Download the Blackra1n ZIP file on to your machine. Extract the executable blackra1n.dmg file.
Step 3: Your iPhone or iPod needs to connected to the Mac hereon. Once you ensure that the iPhone is connected, run blackra1n.exe file
Step 4: The jailbreak process is now ready for start. Click on the 'Make it ra1n' button.
Step 5: The following set of events occur on your iPhone:
- Your iPhone is now placed in the recovery mode
- The iPhone display replaces the recover mode screen with a picture of Geohot
- Your iPhone reboots
Step 6: Jailbreaking is complete. You are shown a popup message from Geohot announcing the completion of the same. Press OK to finish the process.
At this stage, you will be able to see the blackra1n icon on the springboard of your iPhone. If you are also looking to unlock your iPhone, follow the next few steps:
Instructions to Unlock iPhone:
Step 1: You need to be connected to the Internet at this stage. Once you ensure this, tap on the blackra1n icon to open the installer screen
Step 2: Select sn0w and tap on the Install button on top of the screen
Step 3: Pressing the Install button will download the required package. Once the download is complete, you are shown a post installation log screen that confirms the completion.
Step 4: The unlocking process is complete. You can confirm this by viewing the sn0w icon on the springboard.
Step 5: Once you are done with this, you may choose to uninstall blackra1n. To do this, simply tap on the blackra1n icon and tap the Uninstall option.
This should successfully unlock your iPhone.
This is one of the easiest ways to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone. You can choose to support Geohot by visiting the Geohot's website and making a donation there.
As always, please tell us how it goes.