We had recently written about the release of Geohot's iPhone jailbreaking tool Blackra1n.
Some important points to note before we start:
- Hacking your iPhone could void its warranty. So please proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Make sure that you have iPhone OS 3.1.2 installed on your iPhone.
- The jailbreak requires 05.11.07 baseband.
- If you have a new iPhone 3GS (updated Bootrom), BlackRa1n only supports a tethered jailbreak. This means that once jailbroken you should not let your battery die. If it does die you will need to reconnect it to the computer and use BlackRa1n to boot it.
- Please take a backup of your iPhone, refer to this post for more details.
- After you have successfully jailbroken your iPhone, please checkout our article on tips to keep your iPhone secure.
Instructions to Jailbreak:
Step 1: Visit Blackra1n website and choose the Blackra1n software for Windows by clicking on the Windows logo
Step 2: Download blackra1n.exe (opens download link)
Step 3: Connect your iPhone or iPod to the computer and run the downloaded blackra1n executable file
Step 4: You will now be shown a button that reads 'Make it ra1n'. Click on the button to the jailbreak process
Step 5: Notice the following events on your iPhone:
- The iPhone is placed in recovery mode
- The recovery mode is replaced by a picture of Geohot on your iPhone or iPod
- Your device will reboot
Step 6: You are shown a pop-up. You may press OK
Jailbreaking is complete. You can now see the blackra1n icon on your springboard. If you want to proceed to unlock your iPhone, follow these steps below.
Instructions to Unlock your iPhone:
Step 1 Make sure you are connected to the Internet and click on the blackra1n icon.
Step 2 Select sn0w and tap on Install to start the unlock process.
Step 3 Once the installation is complete, you are shown a confirmation screen. Tap on 'Close'
Step 4 Unlocking is complete. You can confirm this from the Blacksn0w icon on the springboard.
Step 5 You may uninstall blackra1n now. Tap on the blackra1n icon on the springboard and press uninstall.
That's it folks. Your jailbreaking and unlocking is complete. We have all along been fans of Geohot and if you are impressed with his software, take a moment to make a donation by visiting his website.
As always, please tell us how it goes.