Folks at iPatch – an iPhone repair company have come up with a mod that makes the Apple logo at the back of iPhone 4 to glow like Macbooks.
It’s a mod that we have wanted since the first generation iPhone.
At this moment in time, the final design has been implemented and the mod is in the testing phase to eliminate any unforseen issues and to generally road test the product for durability and safety. We expect to release the mod to the public before mid October, at an estimated price of £50 – £100 depending on mass production costs.
You can checkout the photo of a modded iPhone 4 with the glowing Apple logo below:
They’ve also answered some of the frequently asked questions about the mod:
- It has had no noticable drop in battery performance in day to day use
- It does not cause any heating of the rear case
- The light goes off when the screen goes off. This means it will not glow when you are on a normal call and have the phone to your ear or have the phone on standby
- The light effect is an evenly distributed glow, much like the apple symbol on the rear of a macbook lid
- It does illuminate when you receive a text or call, or when your alarm sounds
- It does not cause any change in thickness to the phone or result in any light leakage around the frame
- The glass plate used is that from a standard iPhone 4 and is, therefore, available in black and white (or even custom colours if required)
- The colour of the apple logo can be changed by applying a colour filter and its intensity can be reduced by reducing the front LCD brightness. There are other, currently classified, mods that may be possible too depending on testing. Currently, when the light is off, the apple has a frosted glass appearance but this may change to reflective silver, if possible, to maintain the original look of the iPhone
- The camera function is completely unaffected either with or without flash
- Plans are to release an export franchise kit which will be available to trained repairers abroad. It is by no means simple to replicate and would not be advisable to attempt without the expertise and knowledge of how the iPhone functions at a circuitry level. Details of how to participate will be released in the future
- It will void any warranty with apple but the modification is fully reversible, returning the iPhone exactly back to how it was (at a smaller additional cost)
- It will come with iPatch’s standard 90 day warranty so if anything goes wrong, you are covered
- International orders are welcomed although please be aware of the delivery scale and costs
It looks pretty cool. What do you think? Planning to get it?