iPhone Dev team just released an CLI tool to jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2 for Windows users.
In this guide, we will take you through the step by step procedure to jailbreak iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0.1 or iOS 5 using Dev team’s CLI tool. It’s only for the technically inclined and this should make it easier.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- This guide is meant for Windows users only, Mac users are better off using Absinthe, which is a GUI tool released by the iPhone Dev team. You can use the following step-by-step guides for iPhone 4S and this one for iPad 2.
- This guide is meant for iPhone 4S users. iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users can checkout this guide, iPod touch users can checkout this guide and iPad 1 users can checkout this guide. We’ll publish a guide for iPad 2 users shortly.
- The CLI tool will perform an untethered jailbreak.
- Please note that jailbreaking your iPhone may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk.
- Please do not forget to backup your iPhone before you proceed. You can refer to this post for instructions on how to backup your iPhone.
- Please ensure you’ve updated iTunes to the latest version (iTunes 10.5.3).
Step 1: Download the CLI tool from this link and save the zip file on the c: drive or whichever is your root drive.
Step 2: Double click the CLI zip file and extract the contents of the zip file.
Step 3: Connect your iPhone 4S to the computer.
Step 4: Now go to the command prompt on your Windows computer with administrator privileges.
Step 5: Use the cd command to navigate to the cinject_0.4.3 folder where the required files are extracted.
Step 6: You need to execute the following command from the command prompt:
cinject.exe -i payloads/jailbreak.mobileconfig
Step 7: You should now see a window prompting you to Install Profile on your iPhone. Tap on Install, then on the Install Now button, followed by Next (don’t need to enter any password) and the Done button.
Step 8: You need to execute the following commands from the command prompt:
cinject.exe -j payloads
Step 9: After the above command is successfully executed and you get the command prompt, execute this command:
If this is successful, you should get the command prompt. If you don’t get the command prompt don’t worry, wait for the scrolling log to stop.
Step 10: Then launch the Settings app.
Step 11: Then tap on General, followed by Network and then tap on VPN.
Step 12: You will get a VPN error (ignore it) and then in less than a minute, your iPhone 4S will reboot and at the same time you will notice errors in the command prompt, which is expected. After your iPhone 4S has rebooted, you should be able to find the Cydia icon on your iPhone 4S’ home screen.
If you’re new to the jailbreaking world and wondering what to do after jailbreaking your iPhone, checkout our jailbreak apps category page to find out the apps you can install on your iPhone using the Cydia app. Please note that some of the jailbreak apps and tweaks are still not compatible with iOS 5/iOS 5.0.1 so please be cautious while installing them.
Hope this helped. Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you hit any issues and don’t forget to give a donation to the jailbreak dream team for all their hard work.