Google has just released an update for its Hangouts app for iPhone. The update finally allow users to make and receive calls.
When Google had released the Hangouts app as the unified messaging system earlier this year, it had announced that it would be adding Google Voice support soon.
Google has finally delivered on the promise by adding the feature to make and receive calls. You can make calls are free to the U.S. and Canada. If you’re a Google Voice user then you will be able to receive calls using your Google Voice number.
The Hangouts app is still not a replacement for the Google Voice iOS app as voicemail support is still missing.
In addition to the voice calling feature, Hangouts 1.3.0 allows you to send and receive animated GIFs that play inline.
Google has also fixed an annoying issue, which used to stop the music if there was an incoming message, now it temporarily turns down the music.
Here’s what’s new in Hangouts 1.3.0:
- See which of your friends is using Hangouts, and who can be reached right now
- Call phone numbers from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch (free to the US and Canada)
- Make and receive calls using your Google Voice number
- Send and receive animated GIFs that play inline
- Hangouts will temporarily turn down your music (instead of stopping it) when you receive an incoming message
If the app hasn’t been automatically updated, you can download the update via the Updates tab in the App Store app or use this iTunes link.