Chinese hackers surprised everyone by releasing TaiG jailbreak for iOS 8.1.1 and iOS 8.2 beta.
Here’s how to jailbreak your device running on iOS 8.1.1 or iOS 8.2 beta using TaiG jailbreak.
Some important points before you proceed:
- Please proceed with caution, as Taig is known for running an app store with pirated apps in China. The name Taig might be familiar to you, as it was the center of controversy when this pirated app store was bundled with evasi0n7, and later removed. We’re yet to get a confirmation from any well known hacker that the jailbreak is safe.
- TaiG jailbreak supports following iOS 8.1.1, iOS 8.2 beta devices:
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S
- iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2
- iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad mini
- iPod touch 5G
- TaiG jailbreak also supports iOS 8 – iOS 8.1 but it may be advisable to use the Pangu jailbreak for it.
- TaiG jailbreak is currently available only for Windows. For now, Mac users will have to run Windows in a virtual machine to use the TaiG jailbreak.
- Use iCloud or iTunes to back up any and all personal information that you need to keep safe. The jailbreak has been reported to be working in most cases, but on the off chance something goes wrong, it’s a good idea to have an escape plan.
- Disable any Anti-virus programs or firewalls that could prevent TaiG from connecting to the internet.
Jailbreak iOS 8.1.1 and iOS 8.2 using TaiG jailbreak:
Follow these instructions to jailbreak iOS 8.1.1 and iOS 8.2 using TaiG jailbreak.
Step 1: Download the latest version of TaiG jailbreak from this link on your computer, and unzip the zip file.
Step 2: Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3: Disable Passcode from Settings > Touch ID & Passcode.
Step 4: Also turn off Find my iPhone from Settings > iCloud > Find my iPhone.
Step 5: Please launch the application as an Administrator. Right click on the TaiG exe and select the “Run as Administrator” option.
Step 6: TaiG will take some time to detect your device. Once you confirm that it is showing the correct firmware version, deselect the TaiG App Store (the one in Chinese), just below Cydia 1.1.16.
Step 7: Click on the green jailbreak button to proceed. You will see the circular progress bar.
Step 8: After the jailbreak is complete, your device will reboot automatically, and you should should see the Cydia icon on the Home screen.
You can also check our video walkthrough:
After the jailbreaking process is complete, do not forget to checkout our article on tips to keep your jailbroken device secure.
Once you’ve jailbroken your device, be sure to visit our jailbreak apps and tweaks category page, where we’ve been tracking tweaks that have been updated for iOS 8.
Let us know how it goes in the comments below.
If you’ve updated over-the-air to the latest iOS 8.0.x or iOS 8.1.1, and the jailbreak didn’t succeed, try doing a fresh install of iOS 8.1.1 via iTunes. Download links and instructions can be found here.
A new version of TaiG (v1.0.1) has been released. We’re not sure what’s new in TaiG 1.0.1, but based on the version number, it looks like some of the bugs have been fixed. If you had trouble jailbreaking your device with TaiG 1.0.0, you can try jailbreaking with TaiG 1.0.1.
As always, let us know how it goes.