Apple gives you no direct way to reboot your iPhone or iPad from iOS, and the only way you can do that is by pressing and holding the home and power button together until you see the Apple logo. If either of these buttons are broken, here’s an easy way to reboot your device.
There’s an Accessibility Setting on iOS to bold text system wide, to make it easier to read. Changing this setting requires your device to restart, so this is one way to reboot without using the power or home buttons. Here’s how you do it:
- Open Settings and navigate to General > Accessibility
- Scroll to the Bold Text setting, and toggle it.
- You’ll see an alert warning you “Applying this setting will restart your iPhone”. Tap on Continue.
Your iPhone will reboot, and you’ll see the Apple logo, and after a few seconds, your lock screen will appear.
Reset Network Settings
Another way to restart your iPhone without using the power or home button is to reset your network settings. Note that by doing this, your iPhone or iPad will forget your Wi-Fi passwords, Bluetooth preferences etc. Here’s how you do it:
- Open Settings and navigate to General > Reset
- Select Reset Network Settings, enter your passcode if asked, and confirm it once again to restart your device.
Home and power buttons not working was a fairly common occurrence with iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, but we’re hearing about it less and less with newer devices. Have you faced a broken home or power button with recent iPhones or iPads? Let us know in the comments below.[via OS X Daily]