Apple released iOS 8.3 few days back, which includes number of bug fixes and security and performance improvements, in addition to features such as redesigned Emoji keyboard, CarPlay Wireless etc.
If you’re having an issue after upgrading to iOS 8.3, and want to downgrade back to iOS 8.2 to see if it helps then you can follow the guide below. You will need to hurry up as Apple could stop signing any moment.
You can only downgrade to iOS 8.2, you cannot downgrade to a version below iOS 8.2. So jailbreakers won’t be able to downgrade to iOS 8.1.2 or lower, to jailbreak your device using PP jailbreak or TaiG jailbreak.
- You will be able to downgrade back only to iOS 8.2. You cannot downgrade to iOS 8.1.2 or lower as Apple has stopped signing the firmware file
- You will be able to downgrade as long as Apple continues to sign iOS 8.2 firmware file.
- It is important to take a backup of your iOS device to iCloud or using iTunes so you can restore from the backup if something goes wrong.
- Apple doesn’t recommend downgrading so please proceed at your own risk.
Check real-time signing status
To find out if Apple is still signing the firmware file, check this website. Green rows with a tick means that Apple is still signing the firmware file, and you can downgrade from iOS 8.3 to iOS 8.2.
How to downgrade from iOS 8.3 to iOS 8.2
If Apple is still signing iOS 8.2, please follow these simple instructions to downgrade to iOS 8.2 from iOS 8.3:
- Download the iOS 8.2 firmware file for your device. For example: the iOS 8.2 firmware file file for iPhone 6 Plus, model number A1524 (which can be found at the back of your device) is iPhone7,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw. Accordingly, download the appropriate firmware file from the our iOS firmware file download page for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Connect the device running iOS 8.3 to your computer.
- Launch iTunes and select the iOS device from the top right corner, to the left of the iTunes Store button.
- Hold the Alt/Option key on the Mac or Shift Key in Windows on your keyboard and click on the Check for Update option, instead of restoring. Important note: We were able to successfully downgrade from iOS 8.3 to iOS 8.2 using this step, but if you want to go by the book then you should use the Restore method, but it will be more time consuming. If you use the Restore method, then it will wipe the data from your device so please don’t forget to take a backup.
- Select the ipsw file you had downloaded earlier.
- iTunes will inform that it will update your iOS device to iOS 8.2 and will verify the update with Apple.
- Click Update.
- iTunes should now downgrade your iOS device to iOS 8.2.
- After downgrading, the iOS device will restart. You should then see “Slide to upgrade”. Enter the passcode, and then wait for the downgrade process to complete. You may be prompted to activate your device.
That’s it. You should now be successfully downgraded to iOS 8.2.
Please note that Apple can stop signing iOS 8.2 firmware files any moment so downgrade back to iOS 8.2 as soon as possible. You won’t be able to downgrade back to 8.2 once Apple stops signing the firmware file.
Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you any questions.