If you’ve installed iOS 9, but want to downgrade back to iOS 8.3 because you either found it too buggy or your favorite apps are crashing too frequently then we’ve covered. Downgrading from iOS 9 to iOS 8 is quite easy, despite Apple’s warning which states that you cannot downgrade back to earlier versions of iOS.
- You will be able to downgrade back only to the latest iOS 8 version (which is iOS 8.3 currently).
- Please take a backup of your iOS device to iCloud or using iTunes so worse case situation you can recover your data from the backup.
- Please note that the process involves wiping your device, and then restoring it from a backup, so it can take some time depending on how much data needs to be recovered and your internet connection (if you’re restoring from an iCloud backup).
- It is also important to note here that you will be able to restore only from your latest iOS 8.x compatible backup. You won’t be able to restore back to the iOS 9 compatible backup. So take a backup of your photos and other personal data post the iOS 9 upgrade manually.
How to downgrade your iPhone or iPad from iOS 9 beta to iOS 8.3
Please follow these simple instructions to downgrade to iOS 8.3:
- Turn off Find my iPhone via the Settings app (Settings > iCloud > Find my iPhone).
- You now need to put your device in DFU mode (if you want to find out what it means check this post for more details):
- Plug your device into your computer.
- Turn off the device by holding the Sleep/Wake or Power button and swiping it off.
- Hold the power button for 3 seconds.
- Begin holding the Home button without releasing the Sleep/Power button for 10 seconds.
- Release the power button and continue holding the home button until you get a popup from iTunes that it has detected that your device is in Recovery mode.
- Click on the Ok button.
- Then click on the Restore iPhone… (iPad/iPod touch…) button.
- Then click on the Restore and Update button to continue.
- In the next screen, it will give you information about the iOS 8.3 update. Click on the Next button, followed by the Agree button to continue.
- iTunes will now download the iOS 8.3 software and install it on your device. It should take around 10 minutes.
- After it is successfully restored to iOS 8.3, you should see the white ‘Helo’ screen. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your device, and restore your device from the backup to restore your personal data.
That’s it. Your iPhone or iPad should now be successfully downgraded to iOS 8.3.
Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you hit any issues.