In this post, we compare the specs and features of Apple’s ninth generation iPhone 6s Plus with the eight generation iPhone 6 Plus.
iPhone 6s Plus comes with a number of new features and improvements such as a major update to both the front-facing FaceTime and rear-facing iSight camera, faster A9 chip, next generation Force Touch technology called 3D touch and more.
iPhone 6s Plus vs iPhone 6 Plus: Comparison table
Check out the table below to compare the technical specifications of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6.
Please note that there are still some unknowns about the iPhone 6 like the number of cores in the A9 chip and the RAM. We’ll likely know these once the devices undergo a teardown or are benchmarked.
If you’re thinking of upgrading from the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, then the iPhone 6s Plus is an incremental update. However, if you’re someone who uses iPhone’s camera then the camera improvements alone should make the new iPhones a worthwhile upgrade. Another reason I would personally consider upgrading to iPhone 6s is the 2GB RAM. The frequent reloading of web pages in Safari and refreshing apps was one of my biggest gripes about the iPhone 6 Plus which comes with just 1GB RAM. iPhone 6s Plus with twice the RAM should alleviate that issue to some extent.
iPhone 6s Plus vs iPhone 6 Plus: Quick summary of what’s new and improved
- 3D Touch pressure-sensitive screen.
- Faster A9 chip with embedded M9 coprocessor, which offers up to 70 percent faster CPU performance, and up to 90 percent faster GPU performance.
- New 12MP rear-facing iSight camera with 4K video recording capabilities. Optical Image Stabalization (OIS) is available while taking photos and videos. In case of the iPhone 6 Plus, it is available only while taking photos.
- New 5MP front-facing FaceTime camera with Retina Flash.
- Twice the RAM (to be confirmed).
- Supports LTE Advanced with speeds up to twice as fast as the iPhone 6.
- Up to 23 LTE bands supported (iPhone 6 Plus supports 20 LTE bands).
- Browse and download apps at speeds up to twice as fast over Wi-Fi.
iPhone 6s Plus is slightly bigger (2mm thicker, 1 mm wider and 1 mm taller) than the iPhone 6 Plus. It is also heavier than the iPhone 6 Plus by 20 grams.
Apple will continue to sell iPhone 6 Plus, but has discontinued the gold color and the 128GB model. We will continue to update the post as we get more information about the new iPhones.
Let us know what you think about iPhone 6s Plus in the comments below. Do you plan to upgrade to iPhone 6s Plus?