Thankfully it is possible to take screenshots on the fourth-generation Apple TV, which can handy if you’ve built an app or want to capture your top score in your favorite game to share it with your friends.
But it is not as straightforward as taking a screenshot on an iOS device or a Mac. You need a Mac and a USB Type-C to USB Type-A to be able to take a screenshot on Apple TV.
How to take a screenshot on the new Apple TV
- Install Xcode on your Mac.
- Connect your Apple TV to your Mac with a USB Type-C to USB-A cable. Please note that your Apple TV also needs to be connected to the Television or display using HDMI cable.
- Launch Xcode.
- Click on the Window menu.
- Then click on Devices from the list of menu options.
- Select your Apple TV from the list of devices in the left-hand pane.
- Click on the Take Screenshot button.
Here’s a sample of the screenshot of Apple TV’s redesigned Home screen with the App Store selected.
Xcode will take a screenshot of your Apple TV and save it on the Mac in the Desktop folder with the same naming convention as the Mac screenshot.
That’s how you take a screenshot on your Apple TV. The resolution of the Apple TV screenshot is 1920×1080 irrespective of the resolution of your display.
Let us know how it goes in the comments.