Back in April, Twitter confirmed that it was making some vast, sweeping changes to its APIs, and, as a result, third-party apps would have to remove or degrade their features.
In July, we saw Twitterrific make some of those necessary changes, removing the push notifications feature from its app. (The developers now suggest having the stock Twitter app on your phone to handle push notifications, and using Twitterrific instead of the stock app when you want to engage with those notifications.) And now Tapbots, the makers of the popular Tweetbot app, are doing the same.
Tweetbot has been updated and, with the new software, several features have been outright removed, while others have been degraded a great deal, including push notifications. Twitter’s API changes officially go into effect on Thursday, August 16, so Tapbots had to rollout the update in advance.
Here is the official changelog for the iOS app:
“On August 16th Twitter will disable parts of their public interface that we use in Tweetbot. Because Twitter has chosen not to provide alternatives to these interfaces we have been forced to disable or degrade certain features. We’re sorry about this, but unfortunately this is totally out of our control.
– Timeline streaming on WiFi is now disabled. Your timelines will now refresh automatically every 1-2 minutes instead.
– Push notifications for Mentions and Direct Messages will now be delayed by a few minutes.
– Push notifications for Likes, Retweets, Follows and Quotes have been disabled. We’ll be investigating bring some of these back in the future.
– Activity and Stats tabs have been removed.
– Watch app, which depended heavily on Activity data, has been removed.”
The same changes will be implemented for the Tweetbot for Mac app as well, so if you use that app frequently, be aware that these same elements will be present in that app, too.
The changes that Twitter is making are very frustrating. I’m sure the stock Twitter app is fine, but Tweetbot, and Twitterrific for that matter, are just so good it’s sad to see them being stripped down like this.