Apple today released iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4 to the public. The latest point release of the OS comes with a number of major new features, enhances existing ones, and also fixes a number of bugs while at it. Here’s everything that’s new in iOS 13.4 that you need to know about.
iOS 13.4 is likely the last major point release of iOS 13 as Apple will now focus on developing iOS 14 due to be announced at WWDC 2020 in June. Thus, with iPhone and iPad users using iOS 13.4 for the next few months, it is important that Apple fixes all the annoyances and bugs that are still lingering in the OS.
Below are all the changes in iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4.
iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4: What’s New
iCloud Folder Sharing
Apple is finally getting around to adding iCloud Folder Sharing support to iOS 13. The feature was originally announced as a part of iOS 13 and was a part of one of the initial beta build but due to various issues, Apple had to pull back the feature. With the iOS 13.4 beta, Apple has finally added the ability to share folders using iCloud Drive from within the Files app.
“Hey Siri” When Device Facing Down
Apple has now introduced an option to always listen for “Hey Siri” even when your iPhone is kept face down on a table or covered.
New VPN Off Animation
There is a new system animation in iOS 13.4 whenever you switch off an active VPN connection.
Universal Purchase Support
With iOS 13.4, iPadOS 13.4, watchOS 6.2, and tvOS 13.4, Apple has introduced Universal Purchase support. This would mean that developers will be able to offer one single bundle of all their apps irrespective of the platform.
New Memoji Stickers
iOS 13.4 introduces nine new Memoji stickers like an eye roll, shocked face, frustrated look, and more.
New ‘Shazam’ Shortcut
There is a new ‘Shazam It’ shortcut action in the Shortcuts app for quickly identifying nearby music.
New Splash Screen in CarPlay Share ETA
The first time when you share your ETA with someone in CarPlay, you get a new splash screen.
Remap iPad Hardware Key
There is a new option in iPadOS 13.4 that lets you remap hardware keys of a physical keyboard that’s connected to an iPad.
Cursor and Trackpad Support
iPadOS 13.4 adds enhanced cursor and trackpad support to the iPad lineup. The good thing is that you are not limited to Apple’s own Magic Keybooard with trackpad though. You can use third-party mice and trackpad with your iPad as well. This includes wireless Bluetooth mice as well.
New Keyboard Shortcuts
On the iPad, there are new keyboard shortcuts while using the Photos app that will let you quickly switch between tabs, search through your photos, delete or duplicate photos, and more.
Open Tab in Background
There is now an option to open links in the background in Safari on iPadOS.
Updated TV App with Granular Settings Over Data Use
Here’s the complete list of features, bug fixes, and improvements based on the iOS 13.4 release notes:
- Nine new Memoji stickers, including Smiling Face with Hearts, Hands Pressed Together and Party Face
- iCloud Drive folder sharing from the Files app
- Controls to limit access only to people you explicitly invite or grant access to anyone with the folder link
- Permissions to choose who can make changes and upload files and who can only view and download files
- Always-visible controls to delete, move, reply to or compose a message in conversation view
- Responses to encrypted emails are automatically encrypted when you have configured S/MIME
App Store with Apple Arcade
- Universal Purchase support enables the use of a singular purchase of a participating app across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac and Apple TV
- Recently played Arcade games appear in the Arcade tab so you can continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac and Apple TV
- List view for See All Games
- Third-party navigation app support for the CarPlay Dashboard
- In-call information appears on the CarPlay Dashboard
- AR Quick Look supports audio playback in USDZ files
- Predictive typing support for Arabic
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements. This update:
- Adds status bar indicator to display when VPN has disconnected on iPhone models with all-screen displays
- Fixes an issue in Camera where the viewfinder may appear as a black screen after launch
- Addresses an issue where Photos may appear to use excess storage
- Resolves an issue in Photos that may prevent sharing an image to Messages if iMessage is disabled
- Fixes an issue in Mail where messages may appear out of order
- Addresses an issue in Mail where the conversation list may display empty rows
- Resolves an issue where Mail may crash when tapping the Share button in Quick Look
- Fixes an issue in Settings where mobile data may incorrectly display as off
- Addresses an issue in Safari where web pages may not be inverted when both Dark Mode and Smart Invert are active
- Resolves an issue where text copied from web content may appear invisible when pasted when Dark Mode is active
- Fixes an issue in Safari where a CAPTCHA tile may display incorrectly
- Addresses an issue where Reminders may not issue new notifications for an overdue recurring reminder until it is marked as completed
- Resolves an issue where Reminders may send notifications for completed reminders
- Fixes an issue where iCloud Drive appears to be available in Pages, Numbers and Keynote even when not signed in
- Addresses an issue in Apple Music where music videos may not stream in high quality
- Resolves an issue where CarPlay may lose its connection in certain vehicles
- Fixes an issue in CarPlay where the view in Maps may move away briefly from the current area
- Addresses an issue in the Home app where tapping an activity notification from a security camera may open a different recording
- Resolves an issue where Shortcuts may not appear when tapping the Share menu from a screenshot
- Improves the Burmese keyboard so punctuation symbols are now accessible from numbers and symbols
Please check this article for the security content of iOS 13.4 software update.
Noticed any other changes in iOS 13.4 or iPadOS 13.4? If so, drop a comment and let us know about it!