Apple today released the iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 update for all compatible iPhones and iPad. The public release of the OS comes less than a week after the company dropped the ‘Release Candidate’ build.
iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 is a relatively major point release of the OS that brings a number of new features and improvements. Additionally, it also adds support for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the iPhone 12 mini that are slated to hit the retail stores late next week. Some of the key new features in iOS 14.2 include new emoji, a new Music widget for the Control Center, Optimized Battery Charging for the AirPods Pro, new system wallpapers, and more.
This update should take care of any major bugs that you must have experienced in iOS 14 right since its release. Apple has also released the iOS 12.4.9 update for older iPhones and iPads. Additionally, the company has rolled out the HomePod 14.2 software with Intercom, enhanced Siri, and Home Theater features. For Apple Watch owners, there’s the new watchOS 7.1 update that expands ECG support to more countries, adds Intercom support, and more.
You can install the iOS 14.2 OTA update on your iPhone or iPad by going to Settings -> General -> Software Update and starting the download.
Apple could also release iOS 14.3 later this month or before the end of this year as leaker Jon Prosser had claimed that Apple will release AirTags alongside iOS 14.3. Apple will be holding a ‘One more thing’ event on November 10 where it is expected to announce Apple Silicon Macs and AirTags.
You can read about everything that’s new in iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 here.
The full iOS 14.2 update change-log from Apple is as follows:
iOS 14.2 includes the following improvements for your iPhone:
– Over 100 new emoji, including animals, food, faces, household objects, musical instruments, gender-inclusive emoji, and more
– Eight new wallpapers in both light and dark mode versions
– Magnifier can detect people nearby, and report their distance using the LiDAR sensor included in iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
– Support for iPhone 12 Leather Sleeve with MagSafe
– Optimized battery charging for AirPods to slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your AirPods spends fully charged
– Headphone audio level notifications to alert you when audio level could impact your hearing
– New AirPlay controls to stream entertainment throughout your home
– Intercom support with HomePod and HomePod mini using iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and CarPlay
– Ability to connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K for stereo, surround sound, and Dolby Atmos audio
– Option to provide statistics about Exposure Notifications, without identifying you, to participating Public Health Authorities
This release also fixes the following issues:
– Apps could be out of order on the Home Screen dock
– Camera viewfinder may appear black when launched
– The keyboard on the Lock Screen could miss touches when trying to enter the passcode
– Reminders could default to times in the past
– Photos widget may not display content
– Weather widget could display the high temperature in Celsius when set to Fahrenheit
– Next-hour precipitation chart description in Weather could incorrectly indicate when precipitation stops
– Voice Memos recordings are interrupted by incoming calls
– The screen could be black during Netflix video playback
– Apple Cash could fail to send or receive money when asked via Siri
– Apple Watch app may unexpectedly close when opened
– Workout GPS routes or Health data are prevented from syncing between Apple Watch and iPhone for some users
– Audio is incorrectly labeled as “Not Playing” in the CarPlay Dashboard
– Devices could be prevented from charging wirelessly
– Exposure Notifications is disabled when restoring iPhone from iCloud Backup or transferring data to a new iPhone using iPhone Migration
Have you noticed any other changes in iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2? Do drop a comment and let us know about it!